From face cleansers to serums and masks — everything you need to get great skin at an affordable price! 1. Mario Badescu Facial Spray with aloe, cucumber, and green tea that8217;ll invigorate dull and tired skin with one spritz. Instagram: @mariobadescu This product is alcohol-free!
Promising review: 8221; I really love to use this product in the afternoon to make my face feel refreshed and cool . It has no alcohol in it so it does not dry out my skin, which can be a problem for me. I will definitely purchase this product again.8221; — Fritz
Price: $7 (available in five sizes)
2. Thayers Natural Rose Petal Witch Hazel is alcohol-free with an aloe vera formula that8217;ll calm irritated and acne-prone skin for an overall smoother complexion. amazon.com Promising review: 8220;I love this stuff. Face wash has always made my face break out worse and so I decided to finally just give this a try. I use it every morning and every evening before bed after simply rinsing my face with water and my face is clearer than it8217;s been in years. I8217;ve used this product for several months now, and would highly recommend it to everyone.8221; — Nate
Price: $9.29 (available in four sizes)
3. Neutrogena Age Fighter Men8217;s Face Moisturizer has retinol and vitamin A to help reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles while hydrating and protecting your skin with SPF 15. Amazon
Promising review: 8220;This is my favorite AM moisturizer, and it’s getting harder to find in stores, so thank you Amazon for carrying this. I briefly tried some other brands that either didn’t have SPF, didn’t have Retinol, or they made me break out. This simply works. My skin feels great, especially in the dry winter months. The SPF 15 Is awesome for protection for casual exposure to solar radiation. While I won’t be morphing into a baby anytime soon, the anti-aging properties are evident in the noticeable reduction of laugh lines and crows feet. It’s a good product to add to your grooming regimen and is as easy as slapping on aftershave every morning.8221; — Seth Vaughn
Price: $9.97 (available in five sizes)
4. L8217;Oréal Paris Hydra Genius Face Moisturizer is water-based and can help provide the right amount of hydration to your skin without an oily residue. instagram.com Promising review: 8220;It8217;s just been a couple of days but I absolutely love it. I have combination skin so it8217;s really hard to find something that doesn8217;t make my skin oily but at the same time provide moisture . My skin feels smooth within a few applications.8221; — Kavya Manjunath
Price: $8.64 (available in two scents)
5. Elizavecca Milky Piggy Carbonated Bubble Clay Mask will help reduce blackheads and the appearance of enlarged pores for clearer skin. amazon.com Read a BuzzFeeder8217;s review (#3).
Promising review: 8220;I have used this mask twice and so far I love it. I have acne scars, enlarged pores, blackheads, and after two uses, I can already notice a difference in the appearance of my skin. My pores look smaller already and the blackheads are clearing already. I have used everything on my face and nothing works on my pores. I LOVE this mask it looks so funny and the only downside is that it8217;s very itchy as it8217;s bubbling but otherwise I recommend to anyone looking for results!8221; — jburge
6. Simple Foaming Cleanser uses pro-vitamin B5 and chamomile to remove dirt, oil, and makeup while leaving your skin feeling refreshed and replenished. Instagram: @simpleskincare
Promising review: 8220;I was looking for a cleanser that thoroughly cleans without having to do a repeat application, and Simple does just that. It cleans thoroughly without stripping . Very pleased. This will be my go-to cleanser for life.8221; — Star Child
Price: $6.66 (available in two styles)
7. Elizavecca Hell Pore Control Hyaluronic Acid Serum to help restore your skin8217;s moisture while brightening dark spots and reducing wrinkles. amazon.com Promising review: 8220;I was pretty skeptical, but for the price, I figured what the hell, right? I have combination skin, so my pores are very large but the rest of my skin has a tendency to get flaky, especially in the winter. I put this on after a shower followed by moisturizer, and my skin has never felt softer. That alone was enough to make it worth it, but today I noticed my pores do seem smaller! I’ve been using this product for about two weeks (give or take) and I love it so far!8221; — turtle mom
8. Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion has soothing oats that8217;ll lock in moisture all over your body and improve your skin8217;s overall health. instagram.com
Promising review: 8220;This is my go-to winter moisturizer. It doesn8217;t leave a greasy residue, has a very light, pleasant scent, and REALLY does the job on dry, cracked skin! I go through a large bottle every winter. Keep it by your shower and throw it on your arms and legs after you dry off. Your skin will feel soft and silky. 8221; — Maria Pranzo
9. Neutrogena Eye Firming Cream made with vitamin A and B5 for helping to reduce the appearance of fine lines, dark circles, and under-eye puffiness. Amazon Promising review: 8220;I am a man who is concerned about wrinkles. I tried a lot of different products because I have acne-prone skin. This product stays where it is supposed to under your eyes and over your crow8217;s feet. I have noticed that when you put other under-eye creams on they end up all over your face because of how oily they are. I am 49-years-old and have noticed a good change in the appearance of my lines and will continue to use this product.8221; — Dinky
Price: $9.59 (for subscription)
10. Tree Hut Shea Sugar Scrub that8217;ll exfoliate dead skin cells and help with skin8217;s elasticity. Amazon Promising review: 8220;Love love love!!! This scrub is awesome, it8217;s thick and has plenty of sugar particles, unlike some scrubs which are mainly liquid. I scrubbed my whole body while in the bathtub and then put on baby lotion when I dried off. Softest my skin has ever been, ever! It doesn8217;t leave you feeling oily or greasy like some scrubs do. I bought the mango scent and love it. I will order other events soon! The tub is also bigger than I expected for such a low price!8221; — RDIL
Price: $5.69 (available in seven scents)
11. Naturalistix Sodium Bentonite Clay Mask — it8217;s packed with with deep cleansing and soothing properties to help diminish the appearance of redness, inflammation, allergic reactions, and rashes. Amazon This product is vegan and hypoallergenic. It is formulated without additives, parabens, and harmful chemicals.
Promising review: 8220;This is the best bentonite clay I8217;ve used so far! I8217;m really impressed with how easily it mixes with the apple cider vinegar and how smooth the consistency is. It8217;s great as a face mask and your skin is glowing and tight after. It also is great for bug bites — just use the paste on any bites or irritations you have and they are instantly soothed. I used about a half cup in a bath to improve my skin and pull toxins out. Very impressed!!8221; — Amazon Customer
12. Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water for removing stubborn makeup to leave your skin feeling perfectly cleansed and refreshed! Instagram: @garnierusa This is our budget pick for the best makeup remover on BuzzFeed Reviews .
Promising review: 8221; Love this! It removes makeup without stripping my skin of its natural moisture barrier. This stuff is like a miracle in a bottle. I even use it as a toner on days when I didn’t wear any makeup. It quickly removes the day’s dirt and my SPF. Highly recommend!8221; — Silver Shoes
Price: $6.48 (available in five sizes and nine colors)
13. L8217;Oréal Paris Collagen Face Moisturizer that8217;s lightweight and non-greasy to help restore your skin8217;s moisture and lessen the appearance of wrinkles. Amazon Promising review: 8221; When I wake up in the morning, my pores are practically gone, my skin is buttery smooth, and my fine lines look like they8217;ve been photoshopped away! Even my problematic eyebags disappear. If I may say so, I look 10 years younger! I8217;m 41 and I get second looks and compliments on my skin whenever I use this the night before. I swear this is a miracle in a jar. Will never be without it.8221; — RG77
14. Bulldog Men8217;s Shave Gel with aloe vera, camelina oil, and green tea for a hydrating and moisturizing shave each time. instagram.com Promising review: 8221; Definitely one of my favorite shaving gels out there! It has a great scent that isn8217;t too overpowering and lathers up just perfectly for a good, close shave. I have sensitive skin and this is just perfect for me, as it never irritates my skin and this isn8217;t even their sensitive skin shaving gel either! I would definitely recommend trying this if you8217;re in the market for a new shaving gel.8221; — Justin
Price: $6.60 (available in two colors and nine styles)
15. ArtNaturals Himalayan Salt Body Scrub with shea butter and essential oils that8217;ll help promote healthy looking skin, improve texture, and deep clean with exfoliation. Amazon Promising review: 8220;Amazing product, my sister is an esthetician and I was breaking out on my back and legs! She recommended I use a salt scrub to exfoliate and this scrub has helped to clear my skin and has made it super soft. I was browsing Amazon and bought this because of the reviews and I8217;m so glad I listened!!!8221; — christina buckner
16. Pure31 Vitamin C Serum with hyaluronic acid to help plump skin cells, fill in lines, and protect your skin with intense moisture. Amazon This product is vegan and cruelty-free! It8217;s also formulated without phthalates and parabens.
Promising review: 8220;This vitamin C serum is truly amazing! I8217;ve been diligently using this serum and I8217;m seeing some dramatic differences on my face. I had some fine wrinkles around my eyes and frequent breakouts, but I can now see that they are almost gone and dramatically reduced! I8217;ve been using this before I went to bed, but now I8217;m thinking of using it also in the morning. I8217;m hoping twice a day could have an even better result. I8217;m definitely going to reorder this product and I highly recommend this serum to others.8221; — J Daddy
17. Curél Hydra Therapy Wet Skin Moisturizer — use it on freshly showered skin for intense hydration. It8217;s greaseless and will immediately absorb, so you can towel dry as usual. instagram.com Promising review: 8220;I’ve never written a review on Amazon before, but I am compelled to do so now. This lotion is awesome. You put it on after you turn off the shower while you are still dripping wet, then you gently towel dry. I have very dry and sensitive skin and this worked better than any lotion I have ever used. My favorite part is that it is so quick to apply and it doesn’t leave your skin anything but soft. Not greasy at all. 8221; — Jennifer J.
Price: $8.54 (available in five sizes and two styles)
18. L8217;Oréal Paris Hydra Energetic Cleanser with Charcoal for fighting problems with excess oil, dullness, impurities, and clogged pores. Amazon Promising review: 8220;I have tried many different men’s facial washes and scrubs, but I have never tried L’Oréal products before. I have always heard good things from women, so I thought I would give it a try. I am very impressed and I love this wash. It definitely has a 8216;man8217; scent and leaves your face feeling very clean. It does not over clean to have your skin feeling dry and it takes the shine away. Besides liking how the product works, I love that a little goes a long ways. A tiny amount does an awesome job.8221; — FEFORD427
Reviews have been edited for length and/or clarity.
Want more beauty suggestions? Check out these amazing posts! Love Beauty Products? Download This App For A Chance To Be Featured On BuzzFeed
19 Makeup Products That Won8217;t Budge No Matter What
22 Skincare Products Under $5 That8217;ll Actually Work
20 Of The Best K-Beauty And Skincare Products You Can Get At Jet
21 Long-Lasting Eyeliners That Actually Won8217;t Budge
24 Moisturizing Products For Every Inch Of Your Body
24 Beauty Products That8217;ll Actually Make A Huge Difference
Looking for the perfect gift for any occasion? Check out all of BuzzFeed’s gift guides ! Allison Krausman / BuzzFeed
Jessica My Morning + Night Skincare Routine
Happy Sunday everybody. I’m pretty pumped to share this LONG OVERDUE skincare routine post with you. I’ve been getting a lot of messages remarking on how good my skin looks and asking what I’m doing (even a few asking if I’ve done fillers, I’ll take that as a compliment!). The answer is no, I haven’t, but I did get really serious about my skincare routine and invested in some treatments that have 100% drastically improved my skin. You may look at the below and think, this girl is cray, this is way too many steps. Honestly, when I’m doing it, it doesn’t feel that way, and in a weird way, my skincare routine is almost a form of meditation for me (just ask my friends, I’ve been this way since high school). Of course my routine changes with the seasons, so this is what’s working for me right now. I realized I’ve never done a post on masks, which feels crazy because I do them ALL THE TIME, and have so many I love, so I’m thinking I’ll do that soon. If you have any other skincare questions or posts you’d like me to do, let me know, I LOVE talking about this stuff. Skincare Step-by-Step Morning Cleanse with Indie Lee Brightening Cleanser or Farmaesthetics Herbal Cleanser *If my skin is feeling dry I’ll skip this step or just do a splash of cold water Tone with Indie Lee CoQ-10 Toner Apply a few drops of SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic **This is expensive but has been an absolute game changer for my skin (it also has over 100s of 5 star reviews). I haven’t had any breakouts since I started using this. Then apply a few drops of SkinCeuticals H.A. Intensifier (I apply anything with a dropper directly to my skin, not into my hands first, so no product is wasted). A few dabs of First Aid Beauty Eye Gel and if I have time I’ll use my jade roller especially around my eyes to de-puff. I’ve tried a lot of face oils and Indie Lee’s Squalane Oil is my favorite. I only need 2-3 drops and it’s super lightweight and moisturizing. I started using this SPF 30 moisturizer recently but loving it so far. It has incredible anti-aging ingredients like evening primrose oil and hemp seed oil. It’s also very lightweight on the skin. Finish with a spritz of Farmaesthetics cool aloe mist. Night If I’m wearing make-up I’ll use this True Botanicals Pre-Cleanse Oil first, then wash with one of my cleansers. Treatment: I alternate between SkinCeuticals Retinol , First Aid Beauty AHA Resurfacing Liquid , and Biologique Recherche Lotion P50 1970. Using an acid every night has drastically improved my skin. If I’m feeling a breakout coming on or if I have one I use Caudalie VinoPure Serum as a spot treatment. If I’m using retinol I try to let it sit for about 20 minutes before applying face oil. Apply a thin layer of Ursa Major Recovery Cream , a little goes a long way. Tons of anti-aging ingredients and a clean beauty brand (also Vermont based)! Finish with a spritz of Heritage Store Rosewater Tools & Masks
One thing I’ve learned is how to pay attention to what my skin needs. When my skin was at it’s worst, I was in a panic mode of sorts, trying anything and everything to make it better, which only seemed to make it worse. Most weeks I don’t exfoliate more than 1-2 times, particularly now that we’re headed into winter, my skin doesn’t need it as much. Masks My favorite way to exfoliate is to mix Farmaesthetics Rose Perfecting Polish with the Herbal Cleanser so it creates a paste. I’ll rub this gently in circular motions (occasionally I leave it on as a mask for a few minutes) and then rinse. Ren’s Glycol Lactic Radiance Mask is another favorite that exfoliates gently and never makes me break out after using it. It has AHAs which is great for dead cell turnover and collagen production. I also recently started using Tammy Fender’s Epi Peel and it’s so nice for brightening and purifying your skin. If I’m needing hydration I reach for SkinCeuticals b5 mask or First Aid Beauty Bouncy Mask. The Fresh Rose Face Mask is always a favorite too, it smells so nice and it’s so soothing. These are my favorite eye patches to instantly hydrate and lift. Everyone on my holiday list gets these! Tools I’ve always been a bit of a skeptic when it comes to at-home skincare tools but after using the NuFace just once I was really impressed. I was introduced to Microcurrent therapy during a facial this spring and I was blown away by the results. Microcurrent facials are often referred to as the “natural facelift.” The NuFace is an at home device that lets you use microcurrent technology at home. I use it a few times a week and notice an immediate difference in my skin (looking more lifted, firm, tightened pores). If the NuFace isn’t in the budget right now, get yourself a jade roller . It’s not going to give you the same results, but it’s great at de-puffing and just feels really nice on your face morning or night. Treatments
I’ve always been pretty good at getting facials every few months but two new treatments I’ve tried have been game changers. I got my first hydrafacial basically by accident. I booked it thinking it was something else, so was kind of confused throughout the treatment but I was BLOWN AWAY by the results. My skin never felt so clean and hydrated. It’s a pricey treatment at around $175 and it’s not a spa-like treatment the way a regular facial is, but it’s worth every penny in my opinion. I try to do this every two months. Allure breaks it down here if you want more info on what it is. This past spring I decided to get serious about my skincare and go to a medical spa. After struggling with hormonal acne and just noticing more fine lines and general lackluster in my skin I wanted to see what my options were. The esthetician I met with suggested VivaceRF. It’s microneedling with radio frequency so there is no down time (traditional microneedling can be up to a week). What does it do? It alleviates fine lines and wrinkles, minimizes pores, improves skin tone and texture, and stimulates collagen production. It’s typically done in a series of three treatments, each spread out over 4-6 weeks. I was told I would start to see results before the third treatment (right about now) and sure enough I’ve noticed a drastic improvement. It was expensive (around $775/treatment) and I was really nervous spending that amount of money but it has been worth every penny. My skin has honestly never looked better. Just do a quick google search “Vivace before and after” and you’ll see why it’s becoming so popular.
Well I wasn’t planning on writing a novel but here we are. I’ve always been pretty focused on taking good care of my skin but over the last year I’ve stepped up my game and it has definitely paid off. Some people like to spend money on handbags or shoes, I spend mine on my skin (I get that trait from my Mom, haha). There was a period in time where I thought I’d never be able to leave the house without wearing makeup again because my skin was such a mess, now, most days I don’t wear any make-up at all. I still get the occasional breakout and I still have forehead wrinkles and crows feet (though they honestly don’t bother me) but overall my skin looks and feels healthy. I was thinking of doing an everyday makeup post soon as I finally found a clean makeup routine I am loving, let me know if you’d want to see that! Happy Sunday, treat yourself to a face mask. xx
by Onyinye November 17, 2018 No Comments
I’ve talked about skincare a lot on this blog and reviewed beauty products especially Korean skincare products . However, most readers don’t know about my journey to finally getting acne under control and how I cleared my dark spots.
Over the years, I struggled with acne and post-acne hyperpigmentation. Any pimple that appeared on my face left a dark spot that took forever to clear. The worst was the huge hormonal ones that appeared at tough spots monthly.
I tried literally everything I saw for spot removal especially after graduating from secondary school irrespective of the ingredients. Those days, one thought as big girls (fresh secondary graduates) we needed to glow up for University. The pimples didn’t let me be great and I resorted to covering the dark spots with makeup products anytime I was leaving the house.
You know how people are so quick to suggest skincare products despite your skin type. I got a lot of suggestions and some aunties blamed the spots on my use of makeup, forgetting the spots were the reason I started using makeup in the first place.
While waiting for University admission, I started modeling in Lagos, Nigeria where I met a woman that did facials in her house. Her facials helped in keeping fresh pimples away for sometime but the dark spots from previous spots remained.
I gave up on facials after I left Lagos and continued experimenting with products. I was always exfoliating my face with St. Ives apricot scrub which ended up doing nothing to my spots. I still see a lot of positive reviews of St Ives exfoliators so, I was either buying the fake ones then or not following a proper skincare routine for my skin type.
When I traveled abroad for studies, I went makeup-free between my 1st and 2nd year in the university and reintroduced monthly facials. The cosmetologist I was seeing used Dead Sea products, etc and yet no visible change to the dark spots. Few old spots that were lighter faded away but the rest remained.
I was always so conscious of my face and the rest of my body because my fair complexion made the dark spots very obvious. I tried switching my then dove body lotions and creams to pears and other baby lotions just to rule out effects from harsh ingredients. Nothing worked.
I became obsessed with skincare and vowed to find a remedy for my skin. I mean, how hard could it be to find at most 1 product that works?. Plus I’d always wanted to specialize in a part of medicine I enjoyed. My dream of specializing in dermatology was on the line if I couldn’t find a remedy for my own skin.
I began trying out products by continents and countries. Oh yes, I did! I tried different African black soaps (Dudu osun, zee, etc) and they were too drying for my skin. I tried some American products I bought online, tried some Avon and Garnier products (reviewed the exfo brusher ).
Subsequently, I learnt French products were ahead of American products and other European products. I tried a couple of made in France products. Still no change, the tough bastards were still playing on my face.
I was drinking enough water and taking fruits incase you were wondering if I paid attention to my diet. I’ve always hated sugary products since secondary school days and very oily food, so those weren’t part of the issues either. This went on till late 2014. I realized I’ve been going about skincare and everything the wrong way! How I Got Acne Under Control
Being a blogger, I come across different blogs and articles daily. One faithful day, I saw an article about how Korean skincare was about 12 years ahead of skincare innovation globally. I began searching on google for Korean skincare. What’s the worst that can happen that hadn’t already happened to me.
That was how I discovered Korean skincare routines and Asian skincare/beauty generally. My skin has never been the same since then. I finally understood the phrases “you’re what you eat.” and “If it can’t go into your body, it shouldn’t be on your body.”
Honestly, some of the skincare ingredients I discovered were things I had already tried in the past but I was either too impatient to see results or I didn’t prepare my skin for the products to be effective. Eg. Using lemon to fade scars.
If you’ve ever looked at Korean skincare products, you might be turned off by some of their ingredients, donkey bla bla bla, pig collagen, milky piggy bla bla, etc, or words like whitening, acid peeling, etc. Trust me, they are nothing like they sound and they don’t mean the same as those terms in Nigeria and other countries.
Since discovering these skin changing routines and products, I’ve been more confident about specializing in cosmetic dermatology when the time comes than ever! Like, girl! ‘been there, done that! your skin will be safe with me!
First things first. I had to learn the basics of skincare in addition to healthy food and fruits. I also learnt general practices to aid skincare success. I wouldn’t call me an expert yet but I’ve got years of personal experiences that are enough to advise other people so that they don’t waste money and time or worse, damage their skin in their skincare journey.
Forget what we read about drinking lots of water, if that’s the only thing you’re doing, you might probably never see results. You need to modify other parts of your lifestyle before you can see results while using products, like changing pillowcases often, having a night time skincare routine, etc. Finally, Here’s How I Cleared My Dark spots Thanks To Following Korean Skincare Routines.
• Double cleansing : this means cleansing oil impurities with oil based cleansers such as this cleansing oil and water-soluble impurities with water-based cleansers such as this low ph face wash . I double cleanse mostly when I have makeup on but it’s better to always double cleanse.
• Exfoliating : at least 2 times a week. I first started with gritty exfoliators like my favorite sugar mask but now I interchange with clay masks , chemical exfoliators (Aha, BHA ) and exfoliating gloves and cloths.
• Toner : Contrary to what people use the term toning for in Nigeria, toning in skincare is basically returning your skin’s pH to normal or lowering it as the case may be for the other products (actives) in your routine to be effective.
That’s why there are hydrating toners, clarifying toners , etc. I currently alternate between micellar water and beauty water in place of actual toners.
• Serum , Essence and/or Ampoule Application: If you have a particular skin concern to tackle, your best bet is to use one or all of them to tackle it as most of these products are made specifically for individual skin conditions. If you can’t afford to have all, go for one with a wide range of uses. I use a vitamin C face serum . I talked about it and all the benefits of using the right vitamin C serum in this OST vitamin C20 review .
• Moisturizing : Forget what people say about not using anything on their skin because the weather is too hot, they sweat a lot and creams or lotions make them sweat more, etc. If your cream makes you sweat then it isn’t suitable for your skin. Skin getting so oily or sweaty means your body is overcompensating for your skin’s dryness and insufficient moisture. Hence the reason to balance out your skin’s moisture with lotions.
There are variety of moisturizers to choose from.
• Sun care : I can’t overemphasize on the use of spf in skincare. If you’re using products for hyperpigmentation and not using spf up to 40 minutes before going under the sun, you’re harming your skin. Even if you have sensitive skin, there are soothing sun creams to use like this Aloe soothing SPF50 sun cream . Miscellaneous Skincare Products For Acne Control
These products are useful, however, if you’re just starting out, you could use them when you feel like pampering your skin.
• Sheet mask : I use sheet masks occasionally, once or twice in a month or when I remember. If you can afford to, you should use sheet masks weekly. Just like other products, there are different sheet masks with ingredients for different purposes.
Some people don’t see their desired results after using sheet masks so, they just leave it out of their skincare routine and count it as waste of money. This won’t be so if used right.
When used right, sheet masks can do wonders to your skin overnight. Here are 4 ways to get the most out of your sheet masks . Beside the benefits on skin, they’re quite relaxing to use after a long day. Very rejuvenating!
From my experience, you should choose a sheet mask with ingredients that target the particular skin concern you want to take care of. If your skin is dull or you had a stressful week or day and your skin needs some brightening, it would make more sense to use a rice or lemon sheet mask instead of a kiwi sheet mask.
Pimple patch : Acne/Pimple patches come in handy when you have a pimple you need to flatten overnight without pressing out the content with your nails. These patches extract them without any pressure on your skin. I reviewed the cosrx pimple patches on the blog, they’re the ones I use.
Like I mentioned earlier, Koreans make individual products targeting specific skin conditions. Example, brightening, anti aging, acne, blackheads, etc.
Blackhead Nose Patch : this patch is made to extract blackheads from your nose in one swift move. There are bigger liquid products that target blackheads also like the Cosrx BHA blackhead liquid I reviewed. The Best Part Of Acne Control And How I Cleared My Dark Spots
I didn’t have to use only Korean skincare products, just the routines. You actually don’t need only Korean beauty products for Korean skincare routines. I chose to use Korean products almost exclusively because of my experiences over the years with products made in different countries and experimenting without success.
Korean products are so mild that you might actually doubt they’re doing anything to your skin till you compare the state and look of your skin before, during and after using a product. I also love that they use natural products and because they invest a lot in their skincare, they make products that are safe for all skin types.
Above all, they’re patient with their skincare and routines. I order these products straight from Korea and I’ve decided to make it easier for you to get these products in Nigeria through Shop Modavracha .
I saw a 75ml snail cream from a popular Korean brand Mizon that retails between $14 – $20 depending on where you buy from being sold on Konga for 25,000 naira. This was one of the reasons I decided to start my online store for Korean skincare products in Nigeria. Skincare doesn’t have to cost an arm and leg.
For someone who has been using Korean products for more than 3 years almost exclusively now, I know better than to buy certain brands or products for such ridiculous amount in Nigeria when I know their price range even with shipping. Shop Modavracha would sell products at normal retail rates.
If you’re interested in knowing the exact products I’ve used on my skin so far, I’ve documented them under Korean Skincare . I can’t begin to list and explain how to use each of them here or this post would be longer than it is already.
If you already have products that work for you and can be gotten locally, just use the routine mentioned above and your skin would be glowing in no time.
When people see me now and say, you’re looking fresh or your skin looks great. I just smile and think, “if only you know how much money and effort that has gone into this skin and how I cleared my dark spots. I mean I had this drug reaction after clearing my skin but thank God for discovering Korean Skincare products.
If you have suffered like me to achieve good looking skin but yet nothing worked, you’re in luck. This post should definitely teach you a thing or 2 about skincare routines.
This year, I didnt stick to my Korean skincare products exclusively because I decided to try Nigerian organic skincare brands. Plus, housejob took too much of my time so, my skincare routine lacked. There are great products out there but I’m now back to my Korean ways, lol.
Did you struggle with acne and post acne hyper pigmentation? What’s your story?
16 Beauty Advent Calendars for Everyone on Your List By: Emily Taylor Aleksei Potov/Shutterstock
We love chocolate as much as the next person, but there8217;s just something about an advent calendar filled with award-winning skincare , haircare , and makeup that gets our hearts racing. Besides being an easy way to test out all of the products you8217;ve been pining for, advents are also perfect for the hard-to-please people on your gift list, making them the hottest beauty buy of the holidays. They say that each new day is a gift, and these advent calendars take that to the next level. 1 / 16
For the Cousin Obsessed with the Markle Sparkle :
If any beauty product is good enough for the Queen of England—a woman who8217;s worn the same nail polish for almost 30 years—then it8217;s more than enough for us. Charlotte Tilbury (who was recognized by Queen Elizabeth this week for her considerable contribution to the beauty industry) created the Charlotte Tillbury Charlotte8217;s Beauty Universe Beauty Advent Calendar ($200) that will let you refresh your face like a true royal.
What to Expect:
Mini Full Fat Lashes, Eyes to Mesermise in Jean, Color Chameleon in Amber Haze, Mini Rock 8216;n8217; Kohl in Bedroom Black, Matte Revolution in Pillow Talk, Hollywood Lips in Screen Siren, Travel Sized Multi Miracle Glow, Travel Sized goddess Skin Clay Mask, Travel Sized Goddess Skin Clay Mask, Travel Sized Charlotte8217;s Magic Cream, Travel Sized Wonderglow, Travel Sized Take It All Off, and Travel Sized Supermodel Body. 2 / 16
For the Hostess with Multiple Holiday Parties:
The perfect way to get some R&R in between ladling up the spiked eggnog: Susanne Kaufmann Gold Holiday Calendar ($235). Designed to destress, this collection is packed with bubbling brews (think fizzy bath salts and shampoo for lathering) to ensure permanent tub Tuesday coziness.
What to Expect:
Though specific products are not listed, the brand teases ten bath products (8220;bubbles, salts, and a solution just for swollen feet8221; among them), shampoo, conditioner, intensive repair hair mask, three-in-one hair formula, foot lotion, body cream, body butter, mini hand lotion, mini soap, and four body oils. 3 / 16
For the Niece Who Loves to Experiment with Color :
Ciaté London Mini Mani Month Nail Set ($59) is loaded with laquer to keep you looking prim (and polished!) all party season long. Twenty mini varnishes and fun accessories—hello, cuticle/nail tattoos—guarantee this cheery kit is on the nice (nails) list.
What to Expect: Mini Nail Polishes in Cyclone (bronze green shimmer), Hoopla (coral crème), Prima Ballerina mink crème), Purple Rain (purple shimmer), Iced Frappe (pink nude crème), Golden Hour (rose gold pearl), Kaleidoscope (silver glitter), Knee Highs (navy blue pearl), Dangerous affair (deep red crème), Antique Brooch (gold pink glitter), Raspberry Collins (pink nude crème), Total Eclipse (dark grey crème), Supernova (pink shimmer), Pepperminty (light green crème), Tempest (blue green shimmer), Fly away (purple crème), Cookies and Cream (cream nude crème), Paradise Lost (rose gold shimmer), Red Hot Chilli (red crème), Up in the Clouds (light pink pearl), Mini Gelology Top Coat, Mini Jelly Oil, Full Size Nail Polish in Shooting Star (pink and holographic glitter), and Sheets of Cuticle And Nail Tattoos. 4 / 16
For the Coworker Who Hates the Cold:
L8217;Occitane Signature Advent Calendar ($59) is our new favorite way to fortify body and skin against winter wind. We8217;ll take any excuse to stock up on the brand and the holiday season seems like a better-than-ever time to snag some of their top hits for a discount. If you8217;re looking for a more lavish option, L8217;Occitane also offers a 8220;deluxe8221; version for $124 that boasts faves from the Cherry Blossom line and a trio of Immortelle skin saviors.
What to Expect:
Shea Body Shower Oil, Cherry Blossom Bath & Shower Gel, Shea Butter Hand Cream, Almond Delicious Soaps, Shea Butter Extra Gentle Soap, Aromachologie 5 Essential Oils Shampoo, Shea Butter Ultra Rich Body Lotion, Soap with Verbena Leaves, Shea Butter Ultra Rich Shower Cream, Almond Delicious Hands, Almond Milk Concentrate, Cherry Blossom Shimmering Lotion, Verbena Cooling Hand Cream, Almond Shower Oil, Shea Butter Foot Cream, Imortelle Precious Cream, Aromachologie 5 Essentials Oils Conditioner, Verbena Body Lotion, Aromachologie Revitalizing Sugar Cube, Verbena Shower Gel, Shea Butter Ultra Rich Lip Balm, Verbena Eau De Toilette, Shea Light Comforting Cream, and Cherry Blossom Hand Cream. 5 / 16
For the Friend Who8217;s Already Singing Christmas Carols:
Cue 8220;The Final Countdown.8221; Net-A-Porter Beauty 25 Days of Beauty Advent Calendar ($208) is a treasure trove of 25 luxuriant samples (from beloved brands like Sunday Riley and Marc Jacobs) that might make the lead up to the holidays more fun than the actual celebrations.
What to Expect:
Goldfaden MD Brightening Elixir, Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Exfoliating Moisturizer, R+Co Park Ave Blow Out Balm, Algenist Elevate Advanced Retinol Serum, Marc Jacobs Beauty Le Marc Lip Crème in No Angel 242, Charlotte Tilbury Goddess Skin Clay Mask, Erno Laszlo Phelityl Night Cream, Legology Air-Lite Daily Lift for Legs, Oribe Straight Away cream and Run-Through Detangling Primer, SACHAJUAN Hair Repair, Philip Kingsley Elasticizer Pre-Shampoo Treatment, Kat Burki Intensive Face Cream, Leonor Greyl Nourishing Shampoo, Illamasqua Gel Sculpt Silhouette, Senteurs d8217;Orient soap Hourglass Caution Extreme Lash Mascara, Aromatherapy Associates8217; Support Lavender & Peppermint Bath & Shower Oil Dr. Barbara Sturm Face Cream Women, Chantecaille Mask, Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner, Sarah Chapman Skinesis Morning Facial, Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Night Oil, Omorovicza Cleansing Foam, LashFood BrowFood Brow Enhancing GelFix and Le Labo Body Lotion and Shower Gel. 6 / 16
For the Jet Setter Vacationing Somewhere Tropical:
Good skincare on-the-go can be hard to find (and how many times have we stressed about the products we love not being travel-friendly?). Kiehl8217;s Limited Edition Advent Calendar ($70)—shaped like a cute suitcase, no less—boasts 24 first-class travel sizes (and a few full sizes as well) to keep skin both hydrated and happy no matter the destination.
What to Expect:
Twenty-four mystery products including 8220;cleansers, face masks, facial serums, moisturizers and more.8221; Fingers crossed for the Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate , right? 7 / 16
For the Neighbor Who Has No Patience:
Our favorite thing about Oribe Holiday Collector8217;s Set ($285) is everything. Though not technically an advent, this seasonal collection—featuring bestsellers like the Gold Lust Repair & Restore Shampoo + Conditioner—is so good, we just had to include. Bonus points if you can use just one product a day, but when it comes to a box brimming with Oribe, how could any restraint be practiced?
What to Expect:
Gold Lust Repair & Restore Shampoo Travel Size, Gold Lust Repair & Restore Conditioner Travel Size, Dry Texturizing Spray Travel Size, Gold Lust Dry Shampoo Travel Size, Cote d’Azur Replenishing Body Wash Travel Size, Cote d’Azur Restorative Body Crème Travel Size, Supershine Moisturizing Cream Travel Size, Mystify Restyling Spray Travel Size, Lip Lust Creme Lipstick in Ruby Red, Balmessence Lip Treatment, Cote d’Azur Eau de Parfum Rollerball, and Geometric Gold Plated Metal Pony. 8 / 16
For the Friend Who Can8217;t Stop Taking #shelfies :
Their best advent calendar to date—okay, so it8217;s only the first, but we have a hard time believing that it can get much better than this— Space NK8217;s The Space NK Advent Calendar ($250) houses 25 instagrammable makeup, skincare, and haircare products (+ a cozy winter candle) ideal for a DIY spa day.
What to Expect:
Sunday Riley Juno, By Terry Crayon Kohl in Black, Ilia Tinted Lip Conditioner Deluxe in Arabian Nights, Rodial Mini Mascara, Diptyque Eau Rose EDT, Miriam Quevedo Platinum & Diamond Scalp Soothing Dry Shampoo, Natura Bisse Instant Diamond Glow, Malin+Goetz Mini Eucalyptus Deodorant, R+Co High Dive Moisture & Shine Creme, Ouai Wave Spray, Christophe Robin Cleansing Volumizing Paste, Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Peel, Tan Luxe The Face Illuminating Tan Drops, Hourglass Veil Powder Travel Size, Kevyn Aucoin Lipgloss in Sunlight, Lipstick Queen Medieval Lipstick, Space NK Shimmering Spice Candle, Oribe Mystify Restyling Spray, Eve Lom Cleanser with Cloth, Goldfaden MD Bright Eyes, Tata Harper Regenerating Cleanser, Patchology Weekend Mask Trio, Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Mist, Chantecaille Jasmine & Lily Healing Mask, and Votary Toning Serum. 9 / 16
For the Aunt Who Wants a Little Bit of Everything:
SkinStore8217;s 12 Miracles of Beauty Advent Calendar ($99) is at the top of our list for many reasons (and not just because Erno Lazlo + ELEMIS + Eyeko = everything). Whether you need an ultra powerful moisturizer or an eye cream to fake a Clara-approved slumber, this calendar has it all—haircare and makeup included—to keep you covered all winter long.
What to Expect:
Erno Laszlo Phelityl Night Cream, Caudalie Vino Sorbet, ELEMIS Papaya Enzyme Peel, ThisWorks Power Nap Sleep Spray, First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser, Eyeko Fat Stick, SkinChemists Rose Quartz Youth Defense Lip Plump, Omorovicza Balance Moisturizer, Dr Botanicals Pomegranate Superfood Brightening Eye Serum, Grow Gorgeous Hair Density Serum Intense, Aromatherapy Associates De-Stress Muscle Gel, and SkinMedica Total Defense and Repair OR SkinMedica TNS Repair Eye Cream. 10 / 16
For the Significant Other Who Bought Your Gift Weeks Ago:
Giving the gift of warm, cozy scents this season just makes sense. Atelier Cologne Discovery Advent Calendar is only $59, making it one the biggest steals since the grinch went after Christmas. Sixteen miniatures of intimate fragrances and an assortment of stellar skincare products makes this one of the easiest ways to heat up the holidays.
What to Expect:
Clémentine California Travel Spray, Pomélo Paradis Body Lotion, Rose Anonyme Body Lotion, Orange Sanguine Shower Gel, Clémentine California Shower Gel, Bois Blonds Soap, Musc Impérial Soap, Orange Sanguine Sample, Pomélo Paradis Sample, Clémentine California Sample, Bergamote Soleil Sample, Bois Blonds, Grand Néroli Sample, Oolang Infini Sample, Iris Rebelle Sample, Vanille Insensée Sample, Cafe Tuberosa Sample, Rose Anonyme Sample, Vétiver Fatal Sample, Musc Impérial Sample, Sud Magnolia Sample, Cèdre Atlas Sample, Santal Carmin Sample, and Oud Saphir Sample. 11 / 16
For the Pal Who Loves a Great Deal:
Advent calendars are quite literally the gifts that keep on giving and The ELEMIS Holiday Advent Calendar ($215) is one of the most generous of them all—its masterfully curated collection (including wrinkle-reducing Pro-Collagen Marine Cream) is worth over $500.
What to Expect:
Pro-Collagen Marine Cream, Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm and Luxury Cleansing Cloth, Pro-Collagen Neck & Décolleté Balm, Pro-Collagen Hydra Gel Eye Masks, Pro-Collagen Marine Mask, Papaya Enzyme Peel, Pro Radiance Cream Cleanser, Cellular Recovery Skin Bliss Capsules, Balancing Lavender Toner, Instant Refreshing Gel, Peptide⁴ Night Recovery Cream Oil, Peptide⁴ Thousand Flower Mask, Superfood Facial Wash, Superfood Day Cream, Superfood Night Cream, Frangipani Monoi Body Oil, Frangipani Monoi Shower Cream, Frangipani Monoi Body Cream, White Flowers Eye & Lip Makeup Remover, Pro Radiance Illuminating Flash Balm, Dynamic Resurfacing Facial Wash, Pro-Collagen Marine Oil, Pro-Collagen Eye Renewal, Skin Nourishing Body Cream, and Gentle Foaming Facial Wash. 12 / 16
For the Brunch Buddy Who Only Drinks Mimosas:
Nothing says luxury like a showering of top skincare and makeup products. The Yves Saint <